The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Class Mom

Yep, that's me.  I waited a week before I offered, but apparently no one jumped at the opportunity so I got the position.  I got the position even with zero experience haha.  Now, when I first told Kevin he was like 'What, you finally got some free time and now you are working in the class'... Nope, not that kind of class mom.  I basically only have to help organize a few parties throughout the year - easy easy (I think).  

I remember my mom always helping out in my class.  I'm a little fuzzy on the details of what she did, but I do always remember her volunteering for stuff like that and being there for parties.  Actually, that is a subject for another blog - How you spend so much time and energy on doing things and your kids just forget (Sorry mom.... ok more about that later) My mom had to do that stuff before Pinterest and Google ... Crazy!... although she probably didn't have to worry about gluten and peanuts and wheat and egg and high fructose corn syrup and GMOs and artificial colors and whatever else people can't or won't eat... Honestly I was surprised we were allowed to have food. 

I showed up to my pre-party meeting with the teacher with a list of Halloweeny activities to do for the party.  I didn't bring one food idea because I just assumed no food.  I assumed this because you weren't allowed to bring in anything for birthdays etc.  BUT, the teacher was like 'yeah we can have food and no one in our class has any allergies' I don't think that is very common nowadays.  The teacher basically had a list of good ideas and the basics of the party planned, I added a few things and off I went.  

My first duty was to send out an email to the parents about the party date, etc.. Did that.  Next, I made a quick Excel spreadsheet for a sign up sheet.  Listed 'how-to-links' to the party items the parents could volunteer for so that people would know what I was talking about :) People signed up and that was that.

The Halloween Party was here.  We had 15 min to decorate and get things set up.  I had two moms help me decorate.  Then we dressed the kids in costume and the party started.  I made a pumpkin golf game, pumpkin bowling and pumpkin cracker pumpkin patch snacks.  We had a pumpkin face photo booth, spider oreo cookies, banana ghosts and a spider on a web craft.  Only one mistake was made - 2 moms brought pumpkin mandarin orange cups (whoops one mom forgot she was monster juice boxes) .... lesson learned, I should have sent a reminder email.  Owell.

Anyway, I had the only kid who wasn't particularly fond of being in a costume.  Nate got a little overwhelmed with everyone in their costumes and so many parents around.  And as he would say 'I got sad'... yes you did.  I let him put his regular clothes back on and he rebounded and had some fun playing the games.

I enjoyed being class mom and carrying on the tradition :)  I can see why my mom always wanted to do it - I had fun! 







No comments: