The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Mealtime Mix-up

What sticks and what doesn’t in a preschoolers mind is an outstanding guessing game.  Sometimes it is great and sometimes embarrassing…Things like the moon looks like a semi circle, or the phrase ‘let’s go get our freak on’ or counting by 5’s, or verses from ‘uptown funk you up’ or how a teacher bends her book to read (by the way he is ruining his hard cover books trying to bend them like you would with a paperback) or that he moves snails onto dog poop because I said once I saw one there or that a certain house matches ‘Caroline’s house’ (yes he is still stalking her) because of the trapezoidal front (yes he called it a trapezoid) or dogs names at the dog park or that going to pike market takes a long time or that we ate at the restaurant with the purple swirl.  I just never know what he is going to describe or remember and most of the time it is super impressive.  Kids are observant!

Having said that…. There is one thing he constantly says wrong and never remembers and it cracks me up.  He mixes up his mealtimes.  I don’t know if he just doesn’t find it that important and just really doesn’t care or if he wonders why eating has different names to begin with (to him food magically appears so who cares what time of day it is)

But, he will get up in the morning and we will go downstairs and he will say, “I’ll listen to camp discovery songs while you make lunch” or, Kevin will get home and he will say, “Mom is making breakfast” I honestly am not even sure he has said dinner… has he?, probably and I just don’t remember.  He never ever ever gets it right and I’ll correct him and he will repeat it and then get it wrong the next meal or day or week.  For some reason mealtimes do not stick.  It is a weird thing to not stick.  I’m going to start throwing in words like brunch, supper, early bird, etc. and just see what happens.  Maybe I can call it 1st meal, 2nd meal, 3rd meal.  What do you think, good idea?

So why does he remember the exact tree we saw a spider web on for weeks on end, but can’t remember that we need to go home and eat ‘lunch’.  Why?  Strange. 


No comments: