The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, September 26, 2014

Unlocking the Mystery

Nate has been in school 3 weeks ( 5 classes) ~Knock on wood~ it is still going well.  I wouldn't say he is overly excited to go, but he doesn't resist either.  There are a few 'I want to go to the park mommy, no school' type things said.  He doesn't say it with a lot of passion and doesn't seem to mind when I say 'maybe after school we can go to the park' so I'll take that as a good sign.  

Side Note: I went to my first *Back to School* parent night.  I feel so official, like I'm part of some bigger system now.  It was a huge milestone for me.  Me, a parent, sitting with all kinds of other parents.  Yes, saying that at my age seems funny, but it's true.  Basically, I learned that these parent nights are just to tell you how to be civil in the parking lot, pay on time, don't send your kids to school sick and by all means no goodies for bdays and if you even bring a peanut into the bldg you are out ;)

Ok, back to the mystery... what are the best mystery novelists? Agatha Christie? Mary Higgins Clark? Michael Connelly? Fyodor Dostoyevsky? I'm not well read anymore... I should probably watch less tv in my 10 min of free time at the end of the day and start a current bucket list book list.  I tend to read articles instead of anything substantial nowadays... :(  Maybe I'll put that on my new year's resolution list.... ahahaha like I make one of those ;)

Oh yeah, back to Nathaniel and school.  When I pick him up from school my mystery solving skills come alive.  The mystery is 'What the heck did he do for the last 2 hours?' I get a bit and piece on the way to the car.  These are usually what you might call 'give me's' since I base the question on the worksheets/artwork in his cubby.  For example, he had a square dobber project and a cut out shapes project.  So I say, "Did you learn about squares today?" and he says "Yes, we did".   Another give me is, "Did you eat your snack today?" 

After the first round of questions I try to dig deeper.  What did you do on recess?  He usually mentions not wanting to wear a sweatshirt and that a bell rings and they have to go in.... no activities mentioned.. so I say, "Did you play with sand?" or "Did you play with a ball?" every once in a while I'll get from him "soccer ball and I made baskets" Ok well that's something.  

I ask if he went potty... and a couple of times he has said 'I stand and aim'.... ok great!  No wet or poopy pants have come home so that's good (for everyone!!)  

If I'm lucky he sings a little bit of a song... I don't always catch on to what it is though, but he sings it kind of low and smiley and then stops.  I assume he doesn't know whatever he is saying very well so he just kind of muttles through it.  At least I know there was a song.  I know they've used maracas and egg shakers too.

I get glimpses of rules he is learning very randomly.  For instance, we walked up stairs and he said "Hold on to the rail for safety mommy" ... I know I haven't said that so that is new.  He also said "I don't want to stand on the Dr. Suess head"... ok .. well I learned this is how they line up to go places... haha (he already wants to break the rules)  

I think the hardest part of the mystery so far is figuring out what they read.  I have gotten ZERO hints about any books on any day.  I am sure they read at least 2 a class.  I'm wondering what he is doing during the story... is he listening?  He doesn't sit well at home for books so who knows.  He is always listening to the story, but he likes to move around.

One of the most funny answers I've gotten so far was this - I asked "Do you play with any friends in class" and Nate said "Yes, 2".... I was excited, huge progress from a boy who was mortified at the thought of a kid in line behind him at the slide at the park.. I asked "Do you remember their names?" and he said "Yes, my teachers Miss Lisa and Miss Diane"..... well ok, at least I know he likes his teachers haha!!  He does call visitors friends lately.  When Kevin and his parents left for the airport a few weeks ago Nate said "I only have one friend left, meaning me (mom)" and he called my sister 'his friend' when we were in the car going somewhere.  Kind of cute and possibly sad for him.

I've heard the mystery of what happens at school is a never ending battle so I have that to look forward too!! But for now I think it is so fun and cute to try and piece together what happened.  I eavesdrop on his conversation with dad before bed as they 'recap' the day.  Sometimes I learn even more stuff... and I almost have a partial picture of what happens.  Partial at best. 

No comments: