The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The New Normal

How long do you think it takes to get in to a so called *routine*? When does a new *routine* feel normal? I know there are some people who are adamantly opposed to any routines and live life on the edge. But, for this conversation let's assume you still have some spontaneity in your life, but also some clockwork things that you do to keep your life organized. For me I usually seek out a pattern I find in my daily life. A pattern that seems to make things easier. There is always a pattern to traffic or lunch crowds or hunger etc. I usually build my patterns around everything around me rather than setting a pattern for myself and making that pattern work. Does that make sense? I guess I tend to take the path of least resistance. Anyway, once you solve the puzzle and find the best pattern for your life it will become a routine. A familiar routine is comforting usually. I'd say it takes time, real time, to find a solid routine. By solid I mean where you will feel thrown off if you stray too much and it becomes second nature to you.

Now, I bring this up because if there is a pattern of something in our *new baby* lives that lasts for even 3 days it is our routine. Nathaniel has somehow sped up pattern finding and routine making to light speed. What used to take months takes days. It all started when I caught myself saying things like, "It is 11:30am and time for his nap." As I was stating this with the upmost conviction I was secretly thinking to myself ~~ huh, he has only napped twice at that time ~~ It literally only takes something twice to occur to become our ** normal routine **. The new normal basically is anything that happens consistently for 3 days (give or take a day). Kevin falls prey to it as well. He will be like, "wow he is going to bed so late now" and I'll look at our data and it will be 3 days in a row where he went to bed around 9.

Side Note: When I say we look at our data... I mean it. We record his feedings, diaper changes and sleep times. What in the heck did people do before iPad apps ;) haha... I know data overload. I'll admit though it is awesome to look at the graphs and quickly see sleep patterns.

Ok back to statistics. It now only takes me roughly 3 data points to constitute a routine. It just cracks me up that I don't even second guess such flimsy math. I'd never go to a scientist with such little data and expect anyone to buy in to my recommendation. But with a baby all you need is a tiny bit of new data and you are ready to predict what is going to happen going forward. For example: I used to have to do a loop in the car before heading towards stop lights in an effort to keep Nate from crying. Well, I forgot to loop once and he didn't cry at any of the stoplights. After that ONE time I figured he grew out of it and now I never do a pre-shopping loop. It took only ONCE and I was convinced. I guess there needs to be a new variable added to regression analysis that accounts for g....lower case g will now be used to estimate gut feeling. Once this variable is added to the equation the # of data points required to prove statistical significance is reduced.

I guess the new normal is that nothing stays the same for very long so you are constantly adjusting. The new routine isn't a routine at all. I think this is how the quote "Life Happens" came about ;) I just think it is funny that a year ago I would have laughed at someone who told me something happened twice so they were now only going to do that certain something that particular way, but now I'm like, 'oh that sounds about right'

Is there something on my face?
He is enjoying rice cereal a bit more nowadays, less bitter cereal face :)

No comments: