The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Keep Away


Nathaniel had the least healthy month he has had yet.  Remember he got Roseola?  Well, then he proceeded to get HFMD.  Yep, I even know the acronym now.  HFMD is Hand, foot mouth disease.  Now just hearing this gives me the heebie jeebies.  Doesn’t it just sound gross? 

Pre-kid I wouldn’t have visited any friend, family, etc for a month upon hearing they had anything called hand foot mouth disease.  It sounds like something from a horror movie.  Why does it affect your appendages, plus your mouth…. Are you sticking your hand and feet in your mouth?  And why is it called a disease?  Sounds worse, right?  What is the difference between calling it an illness versus disease? (I’m really curious actually I better go look that up) regardless - Yucko! 

Ok ok so that was pre-kid.  Now I’m basically an expert and it never is as bad as it is in my imagination.  I could diagnose HFMD like any doctor ;)  What happened is Nathaniel’s friend Evie came down with it and was diagnosed.  We had hung out with them quite a bit so I figured it was inevitable that Nate would get it.  And he did.  LUCKILY, he got a very very mild case of it.  The fever didn’t last long and he didn’t get too many of the sores that are associated with it. 

I just couldn’t believe he had two things I hadn’t really heard of in the same month.  I feel fortunate neither case was very bad.  The good news is that he should have immunity in the future to the strains he got.  There aren’t too many strains so he may never get either again (and why adults usually don’t get either of these)

Little people are sure gooby ….. aaahhh but we love them anyway.

No comments: