The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 27, 2014

To the End of the Internet

When Nathaniel was a baby - I couldn’t help myself - I looked up so much information in a book or on the internet.. wherever I could find answers or interesting things to read.  What are the milestones, what should he eat, what should he drink, medical stuff like vaccines, how should he be playing, is he too shy, what should I be teaching him, how much sleep should he get, on and on and on.  Luckily, he was such a happy and healthy baby that I kind of just aimlessly looked up stuff. 

Then he turned one/one and a half… I noticed I was looking up less stuff.  But, I still looked up stuff.  Usually the same stuff as before just age appropriate, but with added activity stuff to help him develop motor skills, a love for reading, classes we can do and on and on. 

Now that he is getting close to 2 and a half I’ve noticed I pretty much just hope for the best haha.  I haven’t looked up much at all.  I guess suddenly I expect him to develop on his own.  What?  That seems crazy.  Really it does, I need to get my act together again.  Geez.  For instance, I know I need to be moving him to a different type of cup, but I just procrastinate in finding out what I should do.  Also, he is getting close to moving to a big boy bed, but I have no idea what to do for that.  He is going to definitely be the kid that stands at the top of the stairs and says ‘hello’ and doesn’t stay put.  It would make travel easier though.

Sleeping arrangements while travelling are really tough right now.  He doesn’t and hasn’t really slept anywhere else ever, including our bed, so he is used to his crib and only his crib.  When we travel he is on a regular bed wondering what is happening.  I can hardly blame him for being a bit confused.  I guess I should probably start reading up on how best to transition him.


Ok so I digressed a bit.  But, research, reading, etc. is just as important so I don’t know why I don’t obsess about it like I used to.  Ok, obsess is a strong word.  It is true he can tell me a lot more so that certainly helps.  Maybe that’s it, since he can tell me stuff I feel less like I’m guessing.  Also, maybe because it just seems like playing and interacting is so fun I don’t want to make it too complex.  Although I’d like to start putting together some form of a pre pre pre school type program.  Pinterest here I come… maybe… when I have time.  Nathaniel does tell me to get off the phone or computer now.  ‘No that mommy’  Then I feel guilty because he noticed I wasn’t paying attention to him.  Maybe that is what I should research – how technology is ruining the relationship with your kid ;) j/k…    

No comments: