The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 2, 2014

First for Everything

The scene was so sad and pathetic.  We had just got back from a very (I mean a VERY) quick trip to Orlando. 

Side Note:  Nathaniel had a great time hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa Hahm.  Kevin and I actually left Nate with them all day when we drove around in Orlando.  This is the longest he has been with anyone else his whole life. This is probably not normal for most kids, but normal for us.  He had a great time going to the park and playing with toys.  He even took a nap – a long nap – in a regular bed!!! 

Anyway, back to the story.  After an all day drive and kind of a messed up sleep schedule Nate was a little off (as was I).  But, a day or two went by and we were back into our routine…. So I thought. 

Nathaniel was waking up a bit during the night and at nap time, which isn’t normal for him.  He is a very good sleeper (knock on wood).  Then on Wed he wasn’t drinking his milk like he normally does.  He napped for an unusually long time.  Good for me, but not normal.  When he woke up he didn’t want any milk.  Then my gut just felt like something was off.  But, he was playing so I just chalked it up to getting back into our groove.  We headed downstairs.  Nate asked for his Ipad.  (WAIT back up, did I just type his Ipad????  It is still my Ipad, but doesn’t really feel like it hahaha).

So I headed off to my room to grab the Ipad.  That is when I heard something strange, then crying.  I ran back into the family room to find the saddest boy ever.  He threw up.  It was all over him.  He looked so scared.  This was his first time ever having thrown up.  Think about how scary that is.  You feel awful, you don’t know what is going on and there is crap all over you.  BTW, this kid does not like goo on him so it was extra tragic.  I quickly took off everything, grabbed a wet towel and cleaned him up.  I got him to lay down, calm down and watch the Ipad. 

Mind you while I’m doing all this I’m keeping the curious dogs away.  I wanted to clean up the mess (I mean come on, it’s me your talking about) but the minute I’d leave Nate’s side he’d say ‘Mommy mommy’ so I just laid there with him.  Comforting him.  Poor boy. 

Kevin came home a bit later.  This is a daddy’s boy so he was extra happy to see daddy and get daddy love.  Kevin took over comforting duty while I cleaned up.  Not my favorite job thus far as a mother.  I’m sure a sentiment all moms would agree with, including my own. 

I tried to bring in a trash can for any further * incidents * but Nate kept getting mad at me.  He apparently doesn’t want to try and use that to throw up in.  That will take time I guess.  I’m happy I haven’t had to worry about this until now, I just felt so so so sad for him.  He just looked so pathetic.  It was the first time I had seen him scared in this particular way.  I guess I said ‘It’s ok’ too many times because he kept saying that later, over and over and over again.  I need to start really watching what I say as he listens and catches on.  I got to make sure what I say is what I want him to remember and hopefully helps him, not scare him even more.


Luckily (knock on wood again) it was just one instance.  It must have been something he ate.  It is still a mystery.  He still doesn’t seem 100% to me so maybe he has a little bug or something.  Not a bug strong enough to keep him from playing at the park ;) 

No comments: