The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snaps, Zippers ....

You don't realize how little you know about baby clothes until you face reality. I've always been in the position of buying cute stuff for other peoples babies, but never my own so I really didn't consider reality. For sure I never considered whether something buttoned, zipped or snapped. I never considered if the outfit was one piece, two or three. I never considered how much material would be around the neck area collecting baby goo and gunk. I never considered the bulkiness of things and how squishing a baby in to a car seat is hard with bulky layers of clothes. I am lucky that other moms (or experienced friends and family) bought me some clothes that a new mom like me would quickly learn to appreciate.

First, there is nothing better than a quick zipper in the middle of the night. When it is dark in the room and you are tired that zipper is the best. Pair a zipper with a blanket material sleeper outfit and you can't help but feel like your baby is comfortable and snuggly quick. Zippers always make a diaper change quick and it is fun to make a bit of a fun sound as you zip it up. A funny sound always brings a smile to lil Nathaniel. So you wonder why isn't everything made with zippers?

Well, my thought is a zipper adds a certain casualness to outfits. Because of this I see why snaps are necessary and also very popular. Snaps are so classy :) The outfit looks a little more put together without the distraction of a zipper line down the middle. Some of my most favorite outfits for him have snaps so they are inevitable. Having said that there is nothing more annoying then missing a snap and not realizing it until 10 snaps later and you have to unsnap everything and start over. It becomes especially challenging when you have a boy that LOVES LOVES LOVES to kick the whole time you change him. We are suppose to be building Nate's fine motor skills, but I think mine are being fine tuned with the snaps. You do become like a master snapper after a month or two. I am pretty sure I went years upon years without even snapping one snap and now I'm pretty sure I snapped 1 million snaps. Also, if you don't kind of hold the material just right and you snap crooked the outfit looks wonky. Granted sometimes you are like... 'ah, it looks fine' and leave it looking wonky.

Now when an outfit snaps or zips in half it becomes even easier. Anything that doesn't have to go over that baby head seems to be easier. Kevin disagrees with me on this one and thinks both are about equal to put on so I'm thinking it is just me and I stink at it. When I am putting an outfit over Nate's head I usually look down and it sort of looks like he is in a baby straight jacket. I then struggle to get his arms in the arm holes. haha. Maybe I should have played with more dolls when I was younger!! (makes me wonder if Kevin did LOL) 

One thing I do know is that putting on clothes is always more fun if you make sounds and goofy faces so I entertain Nate by being consistently goofy. Also, I'm pretty sure that the most adorable outfits can be some of the most challenging to put on...but too bad because baby Nate has to be at his handsome best at all times!!

No comments: