The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Seuss Dilemma

"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere". That is no lie. When you read Dr. Seuss books funny things are everywhere. It is fun to say all those goofy phrases and rhymes. Fun until.... Nathaniel actually points to something and wants to know what it is. This happens a lot now. He points to letters and pictures and expects you to tell him. This is super easy most of the time - Dog, cat, tree, balloon, ball, Z, X, S, G.... etc. But, this is not so easy in Dr. Seuss books. He points to creatures (this is the best word I can think of) and I have no idea what to say. If they resemble something I'll say bear or dog... but most of the time the creatures don't resemble anything.
 
A Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz? A Fiffer Feffer Feff? A Gack? A Wump? A Who? The creatures usually look like crosses between birds and dogs, with big bellies and goofy hair. So what do you say? HHHHmmmm? I love how imaginations can go wild and Dr. Seuss is a master at this. That creative side of the brain is so fun to watch. But, do you think Nathaniel is wondering if a duck-dog will walk by outside? Or if there is a Thing that won't stop singing somewhere? Or if there are fish wearing hats in the ocean?
 
This is something I think about at the zoo too. All the books where animals are talking and cooking and saving the world... hahaha.. makes you wonder how kids deal with what is real and what is fantasy in those developing brains.
 
"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"
 
Thank you Dr. Seuss for giving me this dilemma as I read to Nathaniel. As I try to tell him what it is he is pointing at, I myself have to relearn some creative answering! It's fun actually! And hard!
 
Here is a picture of Nathaniel enjoying one of his favorite things. Is there anywhere better than dad's lap? - well maybe mom's lap ;)

 
"Today was GREAT. Today was FUN. Tomorrow is another one" One thing is for sure, Dr. Seuss knew how to capture a feeling through simple (beginner reader) words.
 
 
 

No comments: