The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Today's Cartoons

I know I know .... you aren't suppose to let your kids watch more than 10 minutes of tv a week and that is only after they turn 11, but I have been breaking the rules. SSSHHHH. There are cartoons on the tv here a couple of times during the day. THE HORROR I know. The kid has about a 2 minute attention span so most of the cartoons end up being background noise. Well I should say background noise until a song comes on. Any song in any cartoon gets at least a head turn from Nathaniel. Those cartoon songs are catchy.
 

Over the span of 16 months I've been able to form an opinion about some of the cartoons being shown. The cartoons I've seen are a small % of what is actually out there so this is far from a thorough review. I tend to look for appropriate cartoons for his age on Disney Jr., Nickelodeon Jr., NPT and Sprout TV. I had never even heard of Sprout TV until I had Nathaniel and I couldn't have told you where the other channels were in the cable line up.

So here are my thoughts on a few cartoons. What is sad is when I notice that I am watching the cartoon and Nate isn't anywhere to be seen. He is either napping or playing with Kevin. I'll catch myself singing along and then realize it is me and the dogs. Admittedly, I'm usually looking at the computer or something, but still it is slightly embarrassing and in part the reason I have thoughts on cartoons.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - All I have to say is Mickey Mouse will be popular forever. I wondered how Mickey and Minnie stayed so popular. Now I know, they still have a cartoon. It is impossible to not like lovable Mickey. Those big friendly eyes and friendly voice. Nathaniel can point him out anywhere. The Mickey Mouse clubhouse song and The Hot Dog song are favorites around here. I even used the Hot Dog song on my iphone during a Dr's appt to distract him. I myself love Pluto. Shocking huh? Yep, I *heart* all dogs! The cartoon is cute and has educational components like counting, colors and problem solving.

Sid the Science Kid - Yep a cartoon after my own heart. Even if Nathaniel doesn't like this one we are watching it. haha. Nathaniel is a little young for this cartoon and it doesn't really keep his attention, but he loves the songs and unique looking characters (at least they seem to catch his eye when they dance around). I like how this cartoon combines some interesting learning concepts with both cartoon and real kid examples. You could easily follow up this cartoon with a fun project and comprehension questions. No comments from the peanut gallery here - I swear I won't make Nate a nerd!

Dinosaur Train - 'We all ride ride ride ride.... the dinosaur train... ROAR' This cartoon has an actual paleontologist that does some snippets of facts about dinosaurs. The characters are very brightly colored and fun to watch. The Dinosaur train travels to different time periods (Jurassic, Triassic, Cretaceous) and the story focuses on meeting different dinosaurs in different environments. This again is probably for a little bit of an older kid, but I think it is a neat idea for a cartoon.

Caliou - This cartoon really annoyed me at first. There was something kind of wimpy about the main character. He seemed too pathetic... I don't know. It is done in all primary colors and they make the mom look a little frumpy. There is always some sort of feel good lesson. Don't get me wrong, I like feel good lessons, but something about it just rubbed me wrong. That being said, all of a sudden it was like I just got it. Caliou has turned into a cute little boy to me that is just finding his way. I think he is younger in the cartoon than I originally thought so it gave me a new perspective. I must admit primary colors are probably exactly what Nathaniel loves so who am I to judge that??? There is less singing in this cartoon and more storytelling. I did notice at Christmastime all Caliou stuff was sold out.

Berenstein Bears - I have so many fond memories of reading Berenstein bear books growing up. I had no idea there was a cartoon. Like Caliou it focuses on feel good lessons. Remember to say THANK YOU, learn to share, try new things... etc. You know how there is comfort food? Well this is my comfort cartoon because I really loved those stories as a kid. This cartoon doesn't catch Nathaniel's interest at all at this point, but sometimes when we are sitting drinking milk it will happen to be on so we watch it for a few minutes (mostly for me, plus I'll take Nate lap cuddles anytime)

WordWorld - This cartoon gets my vote for most inventive. Most objects in this cartoon are formed using the letters that spell out the objects name. For instance the BARN is done by taking the letters B A R N and shaping them into a cute barn. There are some fun main characters. The animation is simple and catchy. It goes over spelling and letters several times during an episode. I just think it is a really nice way to teach spelling. Nathaniel laughs every time the intro comes on. There is a dog that jumps around and he smiles at it.

Super Why! - I had read a facebook post once from a dad that was complaining that Super Why was just about a bunch of whiney kids. After watching it - it is sort of true. That being said this might tie Mickey Mouse clubhouse as Nate's favorite. He points out the super letters and seems to be listening to the story. I find it entertaining and I like that the stories and characters are based on fairy tales. If Nate is going to listen to and enjoy the alphabet song - who am I to complain.
 
Little Einsteins - The intro song to this show could be his second favorite song behind the Hot Dog song. I even sing the intro (albeit wrong) during difficult diaper changes and it usually makes him smile and sit still. This cartoon always picks a piece of artwork and music and builds a little adventure around it. I love hearing the classical music and being reminded of the composers. Any time Nathaniel can be exposed to music (real music) it is a great thing - especially since his dad's favorite music is the top 40 hits. Someone needs to teach him to have taste in music ;o)
 
That is a snippet of what Nathaniel is allowed (and seems to enjoy at least for a few minutes) to watch at age 17 months (in moderation of course and not all at once). By the time he reads this I bet they will all be off the air except Mickey Mouse. I wish I could commit to 'NO TV', but I'd be lying to myself. Plus, so far I'm impressed with these cartoons. They don't really seem too bad, especially when he needs a little quiet time to relax from running around constantly or I need a few minutes to do something or I just want Nate lap cuddles. I know I know the horror the horror.... don't tell other moms I allow tv.
Look! Nate and Kona enjoy watching tv the same way!


 

No comments: