The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Big 'B' and SSSHHHHHH

Nathaniel is getting baptized this Sunday. Kevin's parents are coming in to town to be here for the baptism and of course to meet Nathaniel. Kevin's family (including Kevin) have been members of the WELS Lutheran Church for a very very long time and have several family members that serve as clergy in the organization. The baptism ceremony is a little bit different than what I'm used to having grown up around a mostly Catholic extended family. It isn't quite as formal and ceremonial as the Catholics, but obviously the general purpose is the same. The Lutheran baptisms usually take place at the beginning of the church services in front of the congregation. I'm not sure if there will be a picture or not, but there will be at least one of us afterwards so I'll try and post something (granted I have like 2 things I can wear, it is amazing how many clothes rub in the exact spot of the c section scar making it a bit uncomfortable)

Now on to SSSSHHHHH. I find myself thinking and saying this all the time now. We do try and use, 'The happiest baby on the block' method, but this isn't the only Shooshing we are doing these days. The shooshing method from that book is suppose to bring out the calming reflex in a crying/colicy baby. But back to the other SSSHHHHHing ...I was always one of those people that said I'll keep it loud and go on with my daily business etc. etc. and the kid will grow up to be able to sleep anywhere (like me). While I still believe this philosophy and will enact these method eventually... right now SSSHHHHH is the method we are using. As mentioned earlier in a separate post, Nathaniel doesn't really get enough sleep due to his cranky, fussy, crying periods so anytime he actually sleeps I do my BEST to keep him sleeping. The less sleep he gets the crankier he gets so we just need to get him some shut eye until this phase blows over. On occasion he does enter a deeper sleep so then we go about our normal noises.

The dogs don't bark a lot but they are quickly learning that I mean business if I tell them to stop barking. Granted I have to be in the room right by the dogs for my reprimands to work since I don't just scream things from another room so sometimes the barking ensues. Overall, Nate sleeps through most things including the barking, but I just don't want to take any chances right now since it is so so much nicer to not have to carry him around crying (Nate is the one crying, not me) - I just can't handle that bottom lip pucker face he gets staring up at me :) I do always remind him that if I could figure it out I'd fix it so he needs to start talking earlier than scheduled!! I have even made up several songs I sing to him while he cries about how being happy is awesome and crying is overrated - I'm starting to think my singing makes his crying worse though..... hhhmmm

1 comment:

Dinah said...

I just can't help but think of the the Trace Adkins song "You're Gonna Miss This" and the following lyrics:

"Five years later there's a plumber
Workin on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin' and one kid's screamin'
And she keeps apologizin'

He says, 'They don't bother me
I've got two babies of my own
One's thirty-six, one's twenty-three'
Huh, it's hard to believe

But you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast"

I can't believe Nate is a month old today!! It has gone so fast.