The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 10, 2013

15 Month Appt.

Celebrate good times, come on, do do do do do do do do come on.... so why am I celebrating??? Because the shots are almost over Woo Hoo. I hate those dreaded vaccines. Besides the fact that they seem to be controversial these days, which makes me feel guilty every time we get them - They HURT!! Now I don't buy into most of the controversy, but it still makes you second guess yourself. Most kids that aren't vaccinated don't get sick merely because most kids around them are vaccinated, it isn't because they didn't necessarily need the vaccine. Thimerosal isn't in any child vaccines anymore (except non single dose flu). The vaccines are far more pure than they ever have been - far less antigens are injected to get the same result. In fact most kids are exposed to far more antigens on a daily basis than what are in those vaccines. Plus, and this is especially true when they are young, they have some of the power of your immune system so they are better able to build up an immune response. 
 
 
I read quite a bit on the subject - most articles, while sounding official, were opinion pieces with very little science to back up claims. While I'm not some Harvard scientist I completely understand how vaccines work, chemicals used, what makes a legit scientific study, etc etc. Now, that being said you can't underestimate the power of paranoia. I get it. You don't want to do anything to your tiny tiny little person that may hurt them. However, the flip side isn't usually represented. Maybe people should be a little paranoid that their kid might get meningitis or mumps or hep B... There were a few things that I was uneasy about concerning vaccines and I think are very valid concerns. The amount of aluminum contained in the shots. Now, don't get me wrong, aluminum is a very important part of the effectiveness of a vaccine and is very much needed. I just think there should be more published or given to you at your pediatrician's office regarding the amount in the vaccines your child is going to get at any one time. It is common to get 3 vaccines at one time (how much aluminum is that for that particular visit?) I also think getting more than 3 is WAY too much. 2 is probably ideal, but then you do have to have your child go through that little trauma more times (is that actually more unhealthy?). 
 
 
Now, if Nathaniel would have shown any side effects I may have used a delayed or abbreviated vaccination schedule, but he didn't so I went full steam ahead. Overall, to each their own. It is your child and you should do what makes you most comfortable. Who knows maybe in 20 years some of the opinions will be proven accurate and I will feel bad I vaccinated. But after reading, I felt most comfortable vaccinating, but it certainly doesn't mean I enjoyed that super red, crying boy I'd get to see every couple of months :( Regardless, we are almost done.... only one more shot at the 18 month appt. CELEBRATE YAY!!!
 
Ok enough blabbering and on to the good stuff
 
The stats.
 
 
9/30 - He was born and was 21 inches tall and 8 lbs 7 oz
10/11 - He was 11 days old and was 21 inches tall and 8 lbs 9 oz
10/24 - He was 3 and 3/7 wks old and was 21 3/4 inches tall and 9 lbs 9 oz
12/1 - He is 2 months old and 24 inches tall and 11 lbs 10 oz
1/20 - He is 3 1/2 months old and 25 3/4 inches tall and 14 lbs 8 oz
3/30 - He is 6 months old and 27 inches tall and 17 lbs 4 oz
6/28 - He is a lil under 9 months old and 28 3/4 inches tall and 20 lbs 12 oz
10/1 - He just turned one and is 30 3/4 inches tall and 22 lbs 11 oz
1/3 - He is 15 months old and 32 1/4 inches tall and almost 24 lbs
 
Nathaniel fell into the 25-50% range for weight based on his height (closer to the 50% so the doctor wasn't concerned at all). I figure it is the 13 miles he walks every day. He is just a so so eater, which may be part of it. I am starting to think he is a texture guy. He really doesn't like things with much texture and still eats purees just fine. That is how he is still getting some protein and servings of vegetables. I have added smoothies to his daily routine. I sneak in some silken tofu and spinach. He still has a big head (have I mentioned that before?) he always falls in the 90% to over 100% for head size. I don't know how he balances himself on those tiny feet with such a big head ;) Kids aren't designed very balanced are they, it is a wonder they are ever able to walk upright.
 
Everything else looked good. The Dr. didn't have any concerns and said he looks and acts like a typical 15 month old :) The next appt is his 18 month.


Nathaniel and Mocha hanging out
 

No comments: