The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, February 4, 2013

The Superbowl with a Toddler

The Superbowl just isn't the same with a toddler around. Now being different isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is just that convincing a 16 month old that you want to watch a commercial doesn't really work. Nor does telling him it is 3rd and 1 and you want to see what happens. As the game started Nathaniel didn't grab a beer (root of course) and a plate of munchies and sit to watch... nope instead he ran laps upstairs hoping Mocha would chase him. Our discussion wasn't about the funny commercials or best beer, but more about when we thought we could squeeze in a bath for Nate...halftime during Beyonce perhaps?? We didn't go to a party, but even if we did we'd have to leave before halftime to get Nathaniel home and in bed.
 
I think back to previous Superbowl parties I attended and wonder how many parents with young kids weren't there. Now I get it. I didn't really notice then, I probably just thought they had other plans. They were most likely home figuring out when to put their toddler to bed. You can't really take your youngish kid out to all hours (by all hours I mean 9pm) while drinking and throwing back burgers (veggie of course) and nachos. Some people are lucky enough to have baby sitters nearby (by this I mean grandparents) and get to go anyways. Not that we had anywhere to go or would have gone anyway.
 
We did end up bathing him during the halftime show. In hindsight we should have waited for the black out :) (Historical note: The lights went out for over a half hour during Superbowl 47 in New Orleans) Once Nathaniel went to sleep we ate and had a beer. Yep, I had a beer. One beer. Uno cerveza. I feel like there was a time that I'd maybe have a beer a qtr. Now not only would I have a horrible hangover from that it seems like so many calories haha. Also, there wasn't any loud cheering because you don't want to wake the sleeping baby. Granted it was two teams Kevin and I didn't really care about.... there may have been some loud cheering (or swearing) if the Packers were playing.
 
Regardless, I saw most of the commercials and game while smiling at Nathaniel running around making noise and distracting Kevin from watching the game.

No comments: