The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Maternity Clothes

I have read and heard several different methods of how to hold up your pants while you are pregnant.  This is a popular topic because it is nice if you don't have to break down and buy maternity clothes.  A lot of people wear their own pants for as long as possible using various methods. 

The jerry rig method - this is a method where you find anything you can to use to hold up your pants.  This could be pony tail holders, safety pins, twist ties, extender buttons, duct tape, etc.  With this method you hope that what you've conjured up holds together if you have to bend down.

The belly band method - this is a method where you spend ~$20 and you put a tight wrap around your pants hoping it hold everything in place w/o buttoning.

The tank top method - similar to the belly band but you use the bottom of the tank top like a belly band.

Misc method - there are several other products out there that do similar things - a triangle you add behind a zipper, etc

Now having heard of all the various ways of keeping your pants up I can't help but stare at pregnant women's pants everywhere we go.  I look at them and wonder what they are doing.  How many pregnant women are walking around with their pants just about to fall down.  It is like we are all walking around with our pants undone hoping for the best.  You hope that your shirt doesn't raise up and expose your secret. 

I must admit I don't want to spend money on pants that I'll only wear for a few months and I don't want to look like I am wearing ugly, pleated flat butt pants.  Since everyone seems to not want to wear maternity clothes I am expecting the worst in fashion.  But......having tried on maternity pants I don't know why I am even trying to walk around with my pants undone hooked together by strings hoping for the best.  These maternity clothes feel like sweat pants..... they are sooooo comfortable.  Anything comfortable nowadays seems like a blessing.  I am here to declare that I will be wearing maternity clothes with the huge belly covering sacks and I don't care if I'm a nerd :)  Actually, the under belly ones that just fit real low and are higher in the back are pretty awesome too.  I may not be the cutting edge of fashion, but I've given in, at least a little - I will still wear some of my stuff until I no longer can jerry rig them.  Looking forward, I'm all about draw strings and elastic!  And cute sundresses and tshirts with the elastic ruched sides...    

No comments: