The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

7/19 appt and 3D/4D ultrasound

I had my usual appt on 7/19.  Once you get to a certain # of weeks my doctor's office starts you on a doctor rotation.  Any one of the doctors in that office can deliver Baby Hahm and not necessarily the original Dr. I started to see.  It is nice to meet each doctor so that they aren't a total stranger when they walk in the room.  I met Dr. Stafford this time.  She seemed very nice.  Dr. Woodall (my original Dr.) is the Monday delivery OB and Dr. Stafford is the Tuesday delivery OB.  I am now having appointments every 2 weeks instead of the usual 4.  I guess everything was still looking good.  Baby Hahm's heart rate was 141, my blood pressure and weight gain are still great and my belly (uterus) is measuring the proper size (1 cm for every week so I guess I'm around 29 cm)

I am having a 3D/4D ultrasound on 7/22.  This is completely elective - Kevin and I just think they look pretty cool.  I'm excited, but also getting cold feet since the FDA doesn't approve elective ultrasounds.  It does expose the baby to the energy from an ultrasound.  So exposing the baby to anything for elective purposes is somewhat controversial.  I've only had 2 ultrasounds so far and ultrasound energy has never been proven to be unsafe, but it does give me second thoughts.  There isn't anything different between a 2D (the normal pictures you see) and a 3D/4D one, it just reflects the sound waves differently through computer programs to give you different looks at the baby.  If it is a reputable place they use the approved sound wave levels and time limits.  I think it is cool that family and friends can log on and see the ultrasound as you are having it - next best thing to them being in the room (even if I can't see or hear them).  I'm sure driving down the street is actually more dangerous for Baby Hahm than this ultrasound, but I can't help but over think everything ;)     

No comments: