The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tour of the Obstetrics/NICU

The big Baby Hahm birth day will take place at the Williamson Medical Center.  We chose this hospital instead of the usual Baby hospitals in Nashville because 1) It is about 10 minutes down the road from us and 2) My Doctor's office is basically in the parking lot of the hospital.  I wanted to take a tour of the Obstetrics/NICU unit so that I'd feel more comfortable showing up there during labor.  We went on Friday night (I know we were having a WILD and CRAZY night).  We called and they were somewhat slow so it was a good time.  We were there for about 20 minutes and saw the rooms, security and location of the nursery.  The rooms are private and have a tv/dvd in them, a shower (some w/tubs), a chair that turns into a bed for a guest and a full in room baby area complete with warmer and all kinds of medical stuff.  The staff seemed nice and the rooms seemed clean so I guess we feel good about going there.  

One thing that I hadn't seen before are the special birth beds....  it is funny.  Basically half the bed disappears and then there is a red medical trash bag in its place.  It kind of looks like the baby just falls right into the bag.  It is hard to imagine how I even stay put on that thing, but I'm sure it works like clockwork.  Kevin tested out the 'dad' chair/bed and I could tell he was thinking this isn't super comfortable... and I laughed and said...'really.. after a day that I would have to go through his comfort really isn't a necessity' ;)  There were a lot of storage cabinets for stuff you bring too, which I loved.  I told Kevin, 'oh those will be nice that way the room doesn't get cluttered'.  He replied wondering if I'd really be thinking about that.. I wondered if he knew me at all at this point.  I said I'll be anxious, in pain and clutter would just make me grumpy!!! HaHa  I just need some classical music playing and a picture of the dogs to use as a focal point for breathing and I think I'll be set.

We did see a sleepy dad walking back into a room with lots of steak and shake food in his hands (I don't know if they have those in AZ, but it is a burger fast food type place).  He said they just went through all of it and everything there went great.  I assume the tasty shake was for his wife!!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Oh my goodness! Screaming here!!!!!! hahahhahaha!!!!!!!! People have babies in their living room or in a rice filed. YOU are going to be just fine and this is going to be just GREAT!