The scribblings of my life as I transition from a DONK (Dog Owner No Kids) to a..... DOK.
A little bit about daily life, dogs, pregnancy and now motherhood.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Glider, Rocker, Recliner oh my

When I envision a chair for a baby's room I picture a grandma who invites her grandchild on to her comfy lap and reads a book on a rocking chair. Do we need a rocking chair? This is one piece of furniture we have not bought yet in preparation for Baby Hahm's birth. Some moms swear by them and others say it was a waste of money. The mom's that swear by them say they used them constantly during the long nights and feeding sessions. Others have said they felt isolated sitting in the chair in the babies room and preferred to sit out in the living room or on their bed for feeding, etc. and ended up not using the chair almost at all. This has caused me hesitation as I try and pick one out, but I think I have decided to move forward and buy one. My hesitations revolve both around price range and style. I don't want to spend too much if I end up not using it much - on the flip side I don't want to buy a cheap one in case I do use it a lot and it isn't as comfortable.

There are two main styles I'm considering.

1) There is the classic wood frame glider that is seen in a lot of nurseries. You can get these in a variety of fabrics and they basically range from $150 - $750. The cheapest versions do not recline, but glide nicely. The upper range have a little bit more seat padding and recline. The pro of this style is that it really does glide silently and doesn't take up a lot of space in the room and seems to work great for a lot of moms. The con is that the wood frame is definitely taste specific. I am not sure how well these transition to another room once you don't really need them in the nursery. You could sell it once you are done, but this is where I debate myself on how much to spend. Obviously, I'd rather spend more on something I thought I'd have around for years.

2) There is the traditional rocker/recliner you can buy for your living room. You know like a Lazy Boy. These have a very different look than the wood frame glider as they are typically made of all fabric. You can get these in a variety of fabrics choices and they typically range from $250 - $1000. The pro of this style is that they are usually really comfortable, slightly wider and they transition a little easier to another room. The con is that they take up more floor space, they rock versus glide and are not quite as safety proof as the wood gliders developed specifically for nurseries.

I am leaning definitely towards the recline option regardless of style choice since falling asleep upstairs comfortably during long nights seems essential (our master bedroom is on the main floor). This decision puts both of my choices in to similar price ranges. What to do? What to do? We like both options, Kevin leans a little more towards the look of the traditional wood glider and I think I lean slightly towards more of the all over fabric look. Friday we are going to go relook at some choices and make a decision. I think in the end it will be what seems most comfortable for the best value. If any of you moms out there have any hints/tips I'd love to hear them!

Side Note Update 2: I still haven't had another right side pain... this has allowed me to be way more productive and energetic all day since I didn't have to lay on my left side constantly trying to avoid the stabbing pain. My back is now sore though something I haven't experienced :( not sure if it is from being more active or because of the new position of Baby Hahm. I still have no idea where his head is located.   Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, what did you decide??

We had one of the wooden glider ones, with a gliding foot stool that came with. It was really hard to feed anyone on it, and a little on the skinny side. The arm rests were such that I couldn't easily rest my arms without hurting my shoulders after awhile.

So, look for comfort first!!

Glad you're feeling better :)

Shannon

Krista said...

my two cents....I LOVE my glider and matching footstool that also glides. It was a birthday present from my dad and his wife and cost around $200 from CSNbaby.com. It doesn't recline though. We didn't use his nursery/room for probably the first 3 months. He slept in our room in the "Rock N Play sleeper" or in his swing (the only place he would sleep for more than 2 hours straight). At about 2 1/2-3 months we put him in his crib to test out sleeping through the night which he did great! As far as using the glider...we use it for his morning bottle and his bedtime bottle but usually not much during the day. I expect for that to change as he gets older and I can engage him in reading books and what not. I doubt we will move the glider to the living room or any other room. We'll either keep it for the next baby or sell it on craigslist. :-) I think if we had more room we would get a nice rocker/recliner for the living room.